Me and Jamie Oliver got a thing goin' on!

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Anyone who knows me well will tell you that I love to cook and get all fancy in the kitchen. I have subscriptions to Donna Hay, Delicious and Gourmet Traveller. I love dinner parties and feeding my friends. My husband gets annoyed when he wants to record a rugby game as our foxtel hardrive has no space left, it's full of episodes from the Lifestyle Food channel. And YES I need to keep them even if I have watched them, what if I want to watch them again!? If my house was on fire I would save my 76 recipe books, I swear, I would drag the whole ruddy bookcase out! After my son and husband of course! 


If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that I get my love of cooking from my mother. That's two fold. 

1. My Mum LOVES to cook. She spends her weekends and her days off in the kitchen, when she flies interstate to visit, her carry on luggage is food she's cooked for us. We plan our family Christmas meal, a multiple courses lunch, weeks in advance. 

2. Growing up my mother would NEVER let me into her kitchen. She said I would make too much of a mess that I never cleaned up (I feel the same about Roelof). That made me all the more eager to cook up a storm (literally). 

It's been sometime since I have been able to sink my teeth into a good recipe. First there was being pregnant = sleeping 13 hours a day doesn't leave much time for cooking, especially when most of the food I ate I brought back up anyway. Then I birthed a newborn and again sleep took over, along with attending to my little 'pudding'. It is also difficult to walk around after having a forceps delivery = OUCH. Thought I would add that for effect.

On the weekend however I got my mojo back, Jamie Oliver and I tackled the kitchen! I recently acquired Jamie's 30 minute meals, perfect for a busy Mum. I was super skeptical as not only is Jamie professionally trained, I told my sister in law that I suspect he has ADHD and that contributes to his culinary speed! Jamie Oliver, Challenge Accepted! I gave myself 45 minutes to complete the meal, cause ya know, I ain't a professional chef. 





I managed to pull off the meal in 45 minutes. Would have been less too if I could have gotten the darn lid of the jar of preserved cherries. I will admit that my husband helped with one or two tasks, he said I had "two chefs" and I said "more like a Sous Chef" (don't get ahead of yourself buddy, I'm kitchen boss here). He then asked if he could be Gordon Ramsey!!


Thanks Jamie Oliver for a fantastic start to our "Free Day Saturday" (We've started clean eating, and while most of this was clean, that big calorie laden dessert was most certainly not, but that's why it's a FREE DAY der!) Today my baby faced son and I watched a few episodes of Jamie's 30 Minute Meals while he had his feed, so I am all ready and excited for my next rendezvous with my kitchen. I just had one question Jamie, do you clean your own kitchen, or do you have someone do that for you? Because I reckon that would add another 30 minutes to the process, well if you are as messy as I!


1 comment:

Lauren said...

:) do you remember Kate Schirmer? I remember her saying once about all the dishes his meals create may take half an hour to cook but all the cleaning up...
Looks fantastic and delicious