Let Them EAT Pie!!!!

Thursday, September 8, 2011


Okay now I'm not lying when I tell you......

THIS IS THE FREAKIN HOLY GRAIL OF PIES!

You couldn't feed me a store bought pie if it was the last piece of food left on the planet. But a pub pie... just writing those words makes my mouth salivate! Could it be possible that the "pub pie" is the food of the gods?

Last night I had a win with a weight watchers pie recipe, and I'm not talking a just over the line win, I'm talking straight out of the park WIN. I would go so far as to say it's one of the best pies I've ever tasted. And being weight watchers means it's guilt free, ding ding ding!
And no I don't think it tasted amazing because I've been starving myself on lettuce and celery in such a way that a roll of cardboard would taste like tomato soup or roast beef and baked potato. Crispy skin and butter! or Blueberry pie and ice cream! (Willy Wonka Reference).

Okay it's too early and I'm trying too hard to be funny, so enough of my witty quips.... enjoy xx







Ingredients

440 g lean chuck steak beef, (500g purchased) fat trimmed, cut into 2 cm pieces   
2 Tbsp plain flour   
1/2 tsp ground paprika, (smoked)   
1 Tbsp olive oil   
1 large brown onion, thinly sliced   
1 clove(s) fresh garlic, crushed   
250 g fresh mushrooms, (button) quartered   
2 Tbsp tomato paste   
125 ml red wine, dry   
1/2 cup(s) beef stock   
2 g fresh rosemary, 1 sprig   
1 individual reduced-fat puff pastry   
2 x 3 second spray(s) oil spray   


Instructions 

   ·         Toss beef in combined flour and paprika to coat. Heat 3 teaspoons of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches, for 2–3 minutes or until browned, then transfer to a plate.
·         Heat remaining oil in same pan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 3–5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes or until softened. Add paste, wine and stock and bring to the boil. Return beef to pan, add fresh rosemary, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and simmer for a further 20 minutes or until beef is tender and sauce is thickened slightly. Cool for 10 minutes, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
·         Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced. Lightly spray four 1-cup (250ml) capacity ovenproof dishes. Spoon beef mix into prepared dishes. Cut pastry into 4 squares. Top each dish with pastry and trim edges. Press edges to seal, cut 2 slits in pastry tops, then bake for 12–15 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden. 

5 comments:

Caitlin Maree said...

How many pro-points for said 'pie of gods'?

Kymmie said...

Oh my. That looks AMAZING!

(Is it bad to say then when I'm vegetarian?)

Now make MORE of that pub style meal pub pie. (Love the rustic look. Works for me everytime!)

PS. The brooch from Equip was bought a year ago, but they have HEAPS of them still. Just different colours. Go and check out Diva too for lovely cheap specials ;) xx

amumsministry said...

oh that looks delicious... now were are those Weight Watches recipe books I had hidden away....

khush said...

Hi Rebecca!

Loved your post! And I have chosen you to recieve The Versatile Blogger award.

Please come visit my blog at www.myendlessthinkingprocess@blogspot.com and pass on the love.

<3

khush said...

Woopsie! It's www.myendlessthinkingprocess.blogspot.com

-Pea brain