We're all in this together!

Thursday, September 1, 2011


I received a letter in response to my last post from one of my best friends and a fellow blogger. We shall give her an alias as I'm not sure if she'd want me to shove her into the spotlight on this one. Lets call her Grasshopper

Grasshopper penned me a letter full of immense encouragement. She addressed each one of my anxious thoughts and shared what she saw as truth in contrast to my bitter reality. I cried and was incredibly grateful for a friend who would take the time to love me and build me up. My eyes are tearing up now as I type this. 

It's not the sheer fact that she would take the time to write that blew me away. It was the few particular things she shared about her own insecurities. You need a little background  first....

Grasshopper is gorgeous looking, if all my friends were dolls, she'd be the barbie! Not in the weird disproportional plastic way, but the attractive, blonde, flawless skin, rocking body (is that weird for me to say that) way. She always looks fabulous and does so on an incredible budget, she is the master bargain shopper. She even looks smashing in gym gear (no that shirt is not your fat gym shirt)! I don't think I've ever seen her have a bad hair day or a bad face day for that matter. 

Lest you think I'm describing that gorgeous but totally DUMB girl we all had in our class ( that all the boys are in love with), let me assure you she is anything but. She has a law degree and was a kick ass solicitor who retired to manage property worth millions of dollars. She's not short on any brain cells. She works incredibly hard. Am I giving too much away? She lives in a HUGE house that is impeccable, she renovates herself! Has traveled the world, pushes herself to achieve and do incredible things. I haven't met a person who doesn't want to befriend her and a friend who doesn't LOVE her. 

Beyond all those things she has an amazing heart, she's always doing things for other people. Friends, Family, Grandparents, even people she doesn't know. Once she visited a bunch of elderly people from her mums surgery, and I've seen her collect a bus load of baby things for a lady in need. Charitable heart!   She's not a respecter of persons, she's got friends from all walks of life in all shapes and sizes and degrees of WEIRDNESS (see I'm not as charitable).  

SHE SAID SHE LOOKS UP TO ME! THAT SHE SEES THINGS IN ME AND WISHES SHE COULD BE MORE LIKE ME IN THESE AREAS.  I was astounded, firstly that anyone would look up to me in any manner of way, secondly that she clearly does not see herself as I see her. 

And then I realized something incredible... we are all under attack, we women. All of us together being assaulted by one lie or another about ourselves. It's like some big conspiracy against the self worth of women. Bloody hell! The sister next to you is not your envy enemy, she's right there next to you in shackles in that prison of doubt, insecurity and stinkin thinkin. 

I think I know where the key is though. I'll tell you where it is, if you tell the other women around you too. The key is.... 

I'll remind you of the incredible things I see in you, and you tell me the truth I fail to see about myself. Then you tell her something amazing about herself and she will give that much needed encouragement to that other one.  The power is in the edification! 

Grasshopper I love you. xx


2 comments:

Anna said...

Just beautiful. I'm so glad you have such a beautiful friend! I'm envious of that special bond that you have! A true friend is so hard to find! Xx

Kymmie said...

Bring on the sisterhood! I think that we spend a lot of time (A LOT) being insecure and wishing we had X's body and Y's hair. And we fail to see the beauty within.

Well, I think you're pretty awesome - even though I've only known you a short while. And so funny! I can imagine just how you'd be in 'real life' just through your posts.

I think you have a great friend in Grasshopper. And she's awesome to encourage you the way she did.

xx