Happy Birthday to ME!

Saturday, July 2, 2011

I love Birthdays! I love my own birthday even more, but come on - who doesn't?! Despite being dreadfully sick for my 32nd (yes) and confined to my bed for most of the day, I am so grateful to have been, so very loved, cherished and spoilt rotten by my amazing husband and my treasured family. I got to do some of the things I love most in the world, with the people I love most in the world..... I couldn't think of anything better.

On the eve of my birthday, we had dinner with my husbands family and devoured an amazing South African 'comfort food' dinner. My sister in law baked the most amazing cup cake cake!

My birthday meal request was for the ultimate South African 'comfort food'. A potjiekos.
In South Africa, potjiekos , literally translated "small pot food", is a stew prepared outdoors in a traditional round, cast iron, three-legged pot (the potjie) which is found in the homes and villages of people throughout southern Africa. The pot is heated efficiently using small amounts of wood, charcoal or if fuel is scarce, twisted grass or even dried animal dung.
My husband slaved over the open fire all afternoon for this one (Without the animal dung).
The next day - A bowl full of mocha.....
and breakfast at my favourite (GORGEOUS, YUMMY, AMAZING) restaurant Salt.
A trip to the Rosalie Gourmet Markets. I could spend a whole day wandering wide eyed in this place.
Sadly I was too sick for us to keep our high tea date, so my husband (wonderful amazing) improvised. He even sat through 'Anne of Green Gables' with me and didn't look at me sideways as I blubbered and sniffed as Matthew died.
For dinner my favourite pizza, the #14 from Brisbane's number one voted pizza place. The long drive there and home evoked a miserable bout of whingy car-sickness (from me).
My mumma made me a special birthday cake. Peach Blossom, the same from this weeks Masterchef episode where Dessert Queen Billy cooked off against the spiritedly ancient grandma. (Masterchef is a big deal in our family).
My Mother in Law gave me an ice cream maker (yum) and this sinful book.
This beautiful book from my SIL and big brother brings such an eclectic, artistic creativity into the journey from recipe to finished product!
I love Nigella, she makes me want to spend all my time in the kitchen, and encourages me to be more frivolous with my cooking. A gift from my SIL and little bro.
I could watch 'The Delicious Miss Dahl' all day, everyday! A gift from my husband.
If you haven't checked out Ree's blog, you really should. Her recipes are prefectly scrumptious for a wild winter. Recipes from a cattle ranchers wife! Another from my hubby. People raise their eyebrows when I tell them I got 5 cookbooks for my birthday. It's kind of a 'thing' for me.


So grateful for the people who showered me with love on my day. Doesn't hearing someones delightful reasons for joy just make you all warm and fuzzy???!!! If you want more 'good vibes' check out Maxabella's list of grateful peeps! xx

7 comments:

Anne said...

Hi Rebecca! Happy, happy birthday! Seems like we love the same things! I'm a fellow Brisbanite too and Rosalie is just a bit far away from me (over in the Redlands). Sounds like a lovely way to spend your birthday and all those cookbooks. My goodness. You were certainly spoilt. Half your luck!

Anne @ Domesblissity

little love said...

Happy Birthday! xx

Maxabella said...

Happy birthday to Becks! So glad you had such a great day, despite being ill. You are right - our own birthday is the best day of the year!

x

PS - Just the memory of that sweetheart Matthew dying is choking me up a little... what a delightful character. x

Lauren said...

all looks deliciously wonderful! xx

Rachel Esther said...

Happy birthday! Looks like a delicious day. x

Caitlin said...

Happy Birthday Becks! Glad to hear you enjoyed it! xx

Anna said...

Oh so many posts that I have missed out on! Yummo to all the cookbooks...why ruin a great thing but getting anything else when you know what you love!? Happy birthday sweet bec xx